The CIT 1 candidates have been selected for the summer of 2017. Notifications were emailed out on December 1st.
Eligibility CIT 1: Entering 9th or 10th grade the following school year. CIT 2: Successful completion of the CIT 1 program the previous summer
Sewataro’s Counselor-In-Training (CIT) program is a two-year leadership program for young adults who are interested in becoming camp counselors. First year CITs attend the entire eight weeks, while second year CITs attend the last four weeks of the summer. The program’s objectives are to develop counselors who emphasize learning, fun and safety through a positive work ethic, leadership, and enthusiastic spirit and to provide its participants with a summer of personal growth and enjoyment. It provides a unique opportunity for participants to develop a sense of camaraderie and responsibility.
The program includes four components:
- Participation in camp activities such as Adventure Challenge (zip-line, climbing wall, high and low ropes) and Woodworking.
- CIT-specific activities like group projects and off-site trips. For example, CITs built and finished wooden benches that are now being used around camp; they also traveled to Project Adventure for team building activities and to Cradles to Crayons to perform community service.
- Assignments to assist with our tribes and at activities under the mentoring of senior staff.
- Reflection and discussion of pertinent issues such as managing group dynamics, setting expectations for campers with clear consequences, and interacting with co-counselors.
Although completion of the two-year program is not a guarantee of a position at Sewataro, it is an excellent preparation, and those who have successfully completed it will be given priority in our hiring high school age applicants.
- Complete an online camper application Apply online by November 1st.
- Once your application is received you will be asked to submit:
a) two letters of recommendation
b) a completed CIT questionnaire
- We will contact you to set up an in-person interview at camp. The interview date will be in November.
Q: When do you start accepting applications for CIT 1?
A: We are accepting applications now until November 1st.
Q: Is there a due date for submitting applications?
A: Yes, November 1st.
Q: Are there supporting documents required for the CIT 1 application?
A: Yes, you need to submit two recommendations. Only one of the recommendations can be from a camp counselor. The other recommendation should be from a teacher or coach. Once you apply, you will be emailed a questionnaire to answer and submit as part of your application.
Q: When will decisions on the 2017 CITs be announced?
A: We hope to finalize the CIT selections by December 1st.