The 2023 CIT Application opened on September 21st, 2022.
Interviews are in progress, but applications will continue to be accepted on a rolling basis.
CIT 1: Entering 9th grade the following school year.
CIT 2: Entering 10th grade the following school year. Successful completion of the CIT 1 program is preferred but not required.
Sewataro’s Counselor-In-Training (CIT) program is a two-year leadership program for young adults who are interested in becoming camp counselors. First year CITs attend for six weeks, while second year CITs attend for four. The program’s objectives are to develop counselors who emphasize learning, fun, and safety through a positive work ethic, leadership, and enthusiastic spirit and to provide its participants with a summer of personal growth and enjoyment. It provides a unique opportunity for participants to develop a sense of camaraderie and responsibility.
- The CIT 1 program will be 6 weeks in length, and will be offered for sessions CIT 1.1 (equivalent to our regular camp session 6.1, 6/26-8/4), OR CIT 1.2 (equivalent to regular camp session 6.2, 7/10-8/18), in order to give families options as to which two weeks they’d like to take “off.”
- The CIT 2 program will be 4 weeks in length, and will also be offered twice: the first four weeks (CIT 2.1, equivalent to regular camp session 4.1, 6/26-7/21), OR the last four weeks (CIT 2.2, equivalent to regular camp session 4.3, 7/24-8/18).
The program includes four components:
- Participation in camp activities such as Adventure Challenge (zip-line, climbing wall, high and low ropes) and Overnights.
- CIT-specific activities like group projects and off-site trips. For example, CITs traveled to Project Adventure for team building activities and to Cradles to Crayons to perform community service.
- Assignments to assist with our groups and at activities under the mentoring of senior staff.
- Reflection and discussion of pertinent issues such as managing group dynamics, setting expectations for campers with clear consequences, and interacting with co-counselors.
Although completion of the two-year program is not a guarantee of a position at Sewataro, it is an excellent preparation, and those who have successfully completed it will be given priority in our hiring of high school age applicants.
- The first step is for a parent/guardian to complete the online camper application Apply online. CIT applications will be accepted on a rolling basis.
- Once your online application is received you will be asked to submit:
a) two letters of recommendation (a Google form that will be shared after the application has been received), only one of which can be from a Sewataro staff member. The other recommendation letter should come from a teacher, coach, or the like.
b) a completed CIT questionnaire
All supporting documentation is due before your interview is scheduled.
- We will contact you to set up an in-person interview at camp. The first round of interview dates will be scheduled in November for applications received through October. You may call the office or email: to reserve an interview slot. Interviews are scheduled in 30 minute blocks.
Acceptance into the CIT program is based upon the application, references, and camper history (if applicable), as well as the interview. Space is limited, and acceptance into the program is not guaranteed. CITs should expect to make a firm commitment to the full 6 weeks of camp.
Q: When do you start accepting applications for CIT 1?
A: The 2023 CIT Application opened on September 21st, 2022. Interviews are in progress, but applications will continue to be accepted on a rolling basis.
Q: Is there a due date for submitting applications?
A: No. We will be accepting CIT applications on a rolling basis, until the program is full.
Q: Are there supporting documents required for the CIT 1 application?
A: Yes, you need to submit two recommendations. Acceptable recommendations: teachers, coaches, guidance counselors, mentors, club advisors, youth ministers, rabbis, employers, volunteer organizers, etc. One of your recommendations may also come from a past/current Sewataro staff member (though is not required). Once you apply, you will be emailed the recommendation form (a Google Form) and a questionnaire to answer and submit as part of your application. All supporting documentation is due before your interview is scheduled.
Q: I am a former camper. Is acceptance into the CIT program guaranteed?
A: Acceptance into the CIT program is based upon the application, references, and camper history (if applicable), as well as the interview. Space is limited, and acceptance into the program is not guaranteed. CITs should expect to make a firm commitment to the full 6 weeks of camp.
Q: When will decisions on the 2023 CITs be announced?
A: Prospective CITs will find out whether they have been accepted into the program within two weeks from the date of their interview.